Friday, May 15, 2020

A rocking Hippogriff



Since I'd made the book ends I've started other tutorials but got a bit sidestracked due to a infected tooth nerve.
And instead of finishing them I got inspired by another one of the daily tutorials from DHN on FB on Monday:')
The tutorial was for a rocking elephant (instead of a rocking horse) and it got me thinking about a Harry Potter version. Fantastic beasts were an obvious choice and the first one that came to mind was a Hippogriff.


So I started looking for images, cut and paste the different bodyparts in Paint like a jigsaw puzzle, adapting them, added bits and pieces of my own and resized it to fit the markings on the original pattern. Not easy but definitely fun and challenging :)
When given a HP twist, those daily workshops really take multiple days to make, but then, I would never make a rocking elephant lol


When the drawing finally was exactly the right size and to my liking, I coloured it with acrylic paint.


I scanned the painted version, copied one in Paint for the other side, printed it on linnen paper, cut them and painted the cutting edges black.


I added some shiny touches with metalic acryl paint and glued them on Balsa.


After that I cut the two hippogriffs out of the wood, which was obviously a very precise job. Though sanding the edges was even harder; I was so worried the Balsa would split or just crumble. I got the markings on the backs by cutting them out of the paper Hippogriff :)



I painting the back of the Hippogriffs twice.


And finally started building the rocking hippogriff :)


Painted the seat and other parts ...


... before I glued the second Hippogriff in place :)


Time to make the rockers. I made these from cardboard (two layers) because I didn't think I could cut a sturdy pair from Balsa ;)
After a layer of Gesso, I painted them with black acrylic and glued them - not under but - at the back of the feet. Accidentally fitting just against the support beams between the feet.


With two coats of varnish it's finished! And I love it <3
Don't know where I'll place it, but that doesn't matter for a change ^^





4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dank je :) Ik was bang dat hij te groot zou worden, maar dat viel gelukkig mee.

      Delete
  2. Nice idea. You did a great job. I loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amary :)
      I just looked at the photo's of your Christmas scene; so gorgeous <3

      Delete