Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Crafting together (the Italian project) - February

Last month while crafting with Jolinda and Monique I'd made a planter for the Italian bistro, and when I got home I made this test model from paper for the awning.


So last week we  met again. Jolinda continued with the stone steps and Monique worked on her garden. For me it was time to figure out the awning for real :)
For the frame I got the inspiration from Miniature House, but I didn't want mine to be as neat as hers and there was no need for working blinds :)
I wanted something like this one below. Red and white striped fabric crossed my mind, especially since I want red and white checkered tablecloths, but in the end I choose a blackberry red fabric, which I intend to use for the waitress apron as well.


While at the craft club I cut the parts for the frame from Balsa (2,5 mm) but in hindside I should have just used card board, since I had to start at least four times over :') That was also why I didn't get much further that afternoon.
That evening at home I glued four skewers to the fabric with textile glue, a little wider than the test model indicated. One by one I attached the Balsa parts onto the skewers.


Then, when the glue had dried long enough, I put the four Balsa parts together with masking tape to see how it looked. At that point I didn't had a clue as to how I'd do the sides ;)


I like that the fabric isn't pulled tight on the frame. That's why I glued the skewers a bit wider in the beginning.


I put some masking tape on the overhanging fabric at the front and drew a scallop pattern. I cut them with sharp siccors and removed the tape.
The sides were just done with a bit of tweaking and adjusting, glueing it on the frame and cutting the exces :)


I liked the resulting sides of the awning.


I'd like to stain the Balsa frame, but then I have to replace to masting tape holding the parts together with something else.


I also want to put the name of the trattoria on the awning, but I need to figure out a way to do that first :')


No comments:

Post a Comment