Friday, April 6, 2018

Update on the Hogsmeade Cottage: beams and bricks

March was busy month; I'd finally put the walls of the cottage together, went to the Fair in Spijkenisse, worked hard on the little roombox, made 6 plant hangers, an armchair, a photo box, a 1:36 scale sauna, and spent some evenings crochetting :)

The first week of April though I've finally been working om the cottage again.
Didn't know which room to start with, other than it had to be on the ground level (because of the electricity), but the living room seemed the easiest.
Because all the oak wood (windows, doors, staircase and possible furniture) might look a bit dark, and there will be added lots of colours because of the boho chic style I want, I've decided to keep the walls, floors and ceilings simple.
The floors will probably be wood or tiles (for the kitchen and maybe the bathroom), the walls will be primarily plastered in white, though I might give some walls a very light colour paint :)
And ... I want old oak beams!
So that's where I started. Lot of research of course; what's  common for a simple Scottish cottage? In which direction should the beams go? Which meassurements? And so forth ;)

According to Kim, and other miniaturists
there would be no need for the support struts
(the side pieces) because the beams are attached
to the ceiling and walls.
So, although I liked them, they had to go :')

When I started putting the beams together with
tape, I remembered the chimney breast that
should be integrated there also. 

Before I started aging the beams I marked the
side which would be glued to the ceiling, and
numbered them. Before I started staining them,
I put a piece of masking tape to that side as
well so I could handle it better.

First beams are finished. I love them!! ;)

This morning I put the whole frame in place
to see if it would fit and thought: 'Did
I do all the work only to see this?' :')

I forgot that I'm not 15 cm tall :)
Looks good from this angle. And it fit!

The exterior part of the fireplace.
Including a beam, just because I love them.

I've already started on the bricks on the inside.
Not sure if I'll keep the outside this way or
cover it (partly) with bricks too.
For those who asked; I made the beams from Balsa wood, 10 mm height and 6 mm deep. I used your regular indoor/outdoor oak wood-stain, just like I've done with the windows and doors.
Tutorial on how I make the beams look rustic from  Miniaturas y casas de munecas!


No comments:

Post a Comment