Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Doors for the Hogsmeade Cottage, part 3



It has been a while since I worked on building the Hogsmeade cottage. I've done lots of other things, and also spend time with making miniatures for my Etsy show. And of course then it was time to start crafting Christmas miniature :)
I'd promised myself during that time that January would be the month to continue building my cottage. So, with all Christmas decorations, big and small, put away again, and all the wooden walls and parts of the cottage waiting for me on my large dining table, it was time ^^

The hardest part now, was to figure out where to start :')  I knew I was struggling with the doors but I was not sure if I'd found a solution already. It'd been four months and I'd changed the plans so many times already. And on top of that, I have a terrible memory (a)

I decided to reread the previous blogs about the cottage to jog my memory.
For those who are interested, here you'll find the first blog and the background story for the cottage: A new project!


Before continuing with the door and those evil hinges I made the other door frames/jambs. I glued them in the openings, sanded them and stained them.
(you can find a link to the original tutorial for jambs here)


I showed you in August about the small slat of Balsa I'd use to fit the door. I still rather use that method instead of carving the openings for the hinges in the door, and probably ruin it :')


After checking it multiple times (a) I glued that slat to the door and sanded it.


Now I'm going to stain the door and then glue the hinges and nails to the door. Keeping my fingers crossed in the mean time ;)

This door is the one for the first floor, between the (attic) landing and the bathroom btw. The door will open into the bathroom.
The doors for the entrance hall will have little windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment