I looked at a lot of tutorials and decided to follow these instructions. I measured and cut 80 squares of five different fabrics, and 80 pieces of paper.
I tacked the fabric to the paper, wrapping 5 mm over each edge.
I pinned those squares to a little cork board to try different patterns.
Unfortunately, after I made 36 squares and attached the first 5 together, I had to give up because it turned out to be too straining for my shoulder and arm (muscles). Something that also prevents me doing macrame at the moment.
I decided to try the non-sew method instead (a) Won't be as neat and pretty as I'd want it to be, I think, but hee, we can pretend Bianca probably isn't as good in sewing ;)
I opted to make use of this example.
I used an old coton pillow case, draw 8 by 10 squares of 1,5 cm and taped it to my cutting board.
Starting in the middle (well, at one of the four squares in the middel xD) ...
... I glued the first piece of fabric, right side up.
Third square on the opposite side.
The fourth and fifth close in the first square.
I used some extra glue to secure the fabric at the corners.
And I drew new pensil lines after I'd done a row.
Then I repeated it with a new round of squares in the same order; first the ones in the middle, then the ones on either side and I ended with the four corner pieces.
In the next photo I'll show you the order in which I glued the fabric.
The only thing I was not happy about were the transitions (?) between the squares, but I looked through all my craft supplies and found some tin ricrac I could use to hide every corner that isn't neat xD I ordered more of the trim at Minidoor, and some in an orange colour in advance. When it arrived the next day, I glued the trim. Since they tended to get loose at first, I put some pressure on it, one square at the time.
I liked the orange fabric as a border. I tried it with green but I thought the colours of the quilt looked warmer with orange beside them xD
I'd decided to sew the back of the quilt instead of glueing it, but of course you could use either technique.
Between the back and front I put a piece of terry fabric, and I added some thin wire to the longer hems so I'd be able to make some folds.
Since I hadn't made a bed for little Penny, I put it on Draco's four poster bed to show you ;)